Kingdom Defense - Feedback and Recommendations

Seconding as we could really use some tweaks to KD.

Overkill is super important as well as true different rewards for the higher tiers.

2 Likes

@Hagane confirmed that Tier XVII is the exact same loot table as XIV+, just with additional shards.

2 Likes

You know what would be really helpful while in battle, a gauge/meter that showed your progress towards the silver and gold rewards.

Also it would be great to have a counter that showed how many times the boss has used their spell.

5 Likes

3 months since kingdom defense came out.

2 months since a meeting to discuss feedback on kingdom defense.

1 month since Update 1.3 came out.

0 legitimate reasons not to have Overkill mode by now in Kingdom Defense.

7 Likes

@Jeto, can you please provide us some sort of update on any changes to Kingdom Defense, particularly the issue with no Overkill feature? Wasn’t there supposed to be an internal discussion on this feedback? It’s been 3 months now and not a single whisper. This is a very frustrating issue for people wanting to participate in a group effort and a daily activity that is different from most other modes of play. Too many players login to find that the event is essentially inactive for 8 to 10 hours at a time as the kingdom boss has already been killed and waiting for a new one to spawn (which by the way is probably one that cant be killed and therefore the person waiting only gets reduced individual rewards, added insult to injury)

5 Likes

Hey all,

At this stage there is very tentative ideas we are looking at for 1.5 but these are subject to change at the moment and there are other changes currently in the pipes for that update.

We (the CX team) have been sharing all feedback in regards to Kingdoms and Kingdom defence, overkill mode was one of the first things we passed on when this new game mode was introduced, but at that stage and currently, there are a lot of major updates and changes already coming. The Follower rework and rerolling attributes as an example.

Once there is anything more concrete, or if there is a light at the end of an update tunnel and we can share something further, we will do so either in a Community Blog update or possibly in one of these existing threads.

Also as mentioned in the latest Community update, we are also going to be sharing how we gather feedback, pass it on to the development team and that whole process in an upcoming blog. So hopefully that helps create some transparency on how and why some things change sooner than others.

I’ll cross post this in the other newer and more specifically overkill thread as well.

Jeto - Support Human :mage:

7 Likes

Thanks Jeto. It’s nice to have confirmation that the feedback we provide is making it to the developers.

Yay, good to finally have some communication about this.

In terms of feedback, I have some to add: the dragon never going down in level makes it incredibly restrictive to new players. Higher level kingdoms always keep the dragon at a high level, much higher than what new players can fight. I actually still can’t fight the dragon properly, even at lvl 50 with a lvl 42 citadel and epic gear. So this mode might as well not exist for me.

Possible solutions:

• Have the dragon level reset (start at lvl 1 every x days) with kingdoms being awarded for dragon progression and for the maximum level of dragon they reached before the reset. This would give new players a chance to participate, while rewarding kingdoms for increasing their dragon level. And the additional rewards should be enough to make up for kingdoms not being able to have the dragon at the highest level they can beat every single day.

• Have minions that support the dragon, providing buffs to it. These minions could be low level enough for new players to defeat, giving them a chance to participate.

• Have players above lvl 50 and players below lvl 50 be able to “pair up” and enter battle at the same time. The lower level player doesn’t fight the dragon directly, and instead makes matches to provide a boost/buffs to the higher level player, who fights the dragon directly. (This idea would need tweaking to prevent people from being left out, as there aren’t always an even number of players in a guild, and different people are active on different days and at different times.)

Also, please increase participation rewards.

Appreciate the communication on this. It’s good to know that KD is at least somewhere in the pipeline. My hope is that the development continues to lean into fixing and reworking the existing content, and away from adding new things, until that is done. As much as I hate (with the heat of 10 billion suns!) the lack of overkill in KD, waiting for a fix is bearable when other things are being fixed first. Versus new stuff that will invariably be broken too. (Because that’s a thing in games.)

A bigger issue than KD is the turn zero pvp, though. That starting mana cap needs to happen asap. Inventory space also, but the follower update might fix that a bit, if it sticks the landing.

3 Likes

Once again we are faced with a mode that is not fully fleshed out (and in a couple of instances broken) but there is talk of the next update. New stuff is fine but it would be nice if current stuff worked: Coop would stop crashing, pvp rewards werent limited to those with the luck to find Pact items that can win on turn 0, Kingdom Defense that is playable by all and not just those who are lucky enough to login on time, etc.

5 Likes

I think this game really needs to take some time to fix some ongoing issues before adding new features.

4 Likes

I know I’m shouting into the void on this, but I agree with the previous folks. I would far rather have the current content fixed and fleshed out fully than get yet another buggy round of shiny new content. The fact that co-op still crashes is ridiculous. It’s been broken since early access. Please, fix your current bugs, we’ll wait for 1.4 content…

3 Likes

From the October Community Update:

1 Like

Kingdom Defense has now joined PvP in having the most effective strategies essentially have 0 matching of gems. Match-3 game design at its finest! Thanks PQ3 devs.

3 Likes

I did well in a kingdom defense turn. Really well! And then I had to apologize to my kingdom for doing well because it meant others wouldn’t get rewards.

That sucks. Please fix this?

Thanks.

6 Likes

I was about to stay out of this topic but I am really really really sick about not fixing or changing “group playing relevant” issues.

Why is it so hard to think about really easy ways to let all participating players profit from doing damage?

Just make ALL possible rewards obtainable from tier I up to tier XX depending on the players damage bound to a percentage value like:

Tier I - chance for a glyph = 0.01% IF damage is >= value X
Tier XX - chance for a glyph = 2.00% IF damage is >= value Y

This should be taken down over all possible rewards where optional rewards (more valued) should be handled like this in opposite to fixed rewards (like shards e.g.).

If the boss is defeated add a percentual boost to the tier based rewards, if the boss is still alive just stick with the basic definied ones.

The most important thing is even showing weaker players “ITS WORTH TRYING” to have at least a chance for good rewards. And to me the only way is to make ALL rewards obtainable.

2 Likes

5 months since kingdom defense came out.

4 months since a meeting to discuss feedback on kingdom defense.

3 months since Update 1.3 came out.

2 months since this:

1 month since Follower rework and rerolling attributes came out

How many more months of waiting until Kingdom Defense changes comes out?

P.S. To be clear, in live service games, a game mode is implemented and there will often be tweaks or changes down the road; that is to be expected. What makes this issue not acceptable and especially frustrating is that there are clear signs that Kingdom Defense was not thoroughly tested or fully implemented - the Silver/Gold rewards designation having the same rewards tables; the undifferentiated rewards tables for Tiers XI through XIII and Tiers XIV through XX other than incremental shards and general rewards (ingots, gems, gold); the lack of variety in game modes (every dragon fight is the exact same and invalidates about 75% of game play mechanics), etc. Many of these things could have been adjusted through proper testing but even if that didn’t exist there should have been recognition that some immediate fixes were needed so that people don’t have to sit on a half-implementation for nearly half a year wondering if there is anyone behind the wheel making crucial decisions. Saying that feedback is being gathered, meetings are happening, updates are maybe down the road doesn’t solve the issues currently that are significant and should be taken seriously, whatever else is being designed or implemented.

5 Likes

I am in so much agreement with this comment. I can’t count how many times my newer or weaker members say to the effect that “they are sorry that they are not doing very much damage to the dragon and they feel worthless” and it sucks that they can’t even get to the reward levels tiers of damage cause they are getting slaughtered.

I constantly tell them to keep hitting it and you will get stronger and dont worry about it just keep participating and everybody’s contribution matters.

when in truth i know that the lower level players aren’t really helping that much with the way the mechanic is now. There has to be something better and there are so many good ideas in this thread that i just can’t understand why things like this and the pvp issue just doesn’t get fixed.

2 Likes

The dragons need a serious debuff. They get mana even if we are careful not to use their color and they just ‘resist’ any time we are in danger of getting a good hit in. It doesn’t matter what my armor/accessories score is, I may as well be throwing water balloons

2 Likes

the dragon power step up between levels is too big too.
for example a level XIV dragon I can do between 600k->1.8m damage each round
when I go against a XV I often get killed before my 2nd turn and lucky if I can do > 200K damage.