Today's Update Patch Notes

Looks like the second part of the equipment rebalance finally hit - not sure why that wouldn’t be a main feature of what this update brings given the massive impact it has on every build. I’m not sure if I’ve seen one positive boost to equipment, only reductions across the board, with some more severe than others.

I’m really struggling to see the enjoyment in this game any more - what enthusiasm I had for launch was eaten away by weeks/months of no updates while also making very little progress in game.

The drop rates of gear from chests were already abysmal. There are stats above demonstrating the rewards from hundreds of L100 chests, largely dropping instantly scrapable crap. If it’s a L100 chest, and ruby / diamond ones at that, why is there still so much common/uncommon junk in them? These are your very top tier possible reward boxes, and yet will give you 0 gold (capped), 0 food (capped), a common armor/weapon/pet while the laughable “legendary” rune will get thrown onto the pile with the hundred already there.

The materials for upgrading are kept deliberately rare, taking weeks or months to find the right parts to afford evolving to the higher tiers, and then an update doesn’t even mention cuts across the board.

Once you are on all Epics there is pretty much zero progression in the game. You can go an entire month and not improve your character in any meaningful way. Gain a citadel level every few days if being active - though that appears it will take 4x as long with the 75% reduction in XP - a rather significant omission from the update notes.

This is looking more and more like a game designed to look flashy to a new player, get them to part with some cash in the first week or two before they realise there isn’t much here and wander off.

I really wish you’d gone down the route of the previous Puzzle Quest games. Charge for the game and make the game fun to play. Not a free game where you pay to ease some of the frustration and restrictions you’ve needlessly turned this into.

4 Likes

Actually quite a bit of gear got buffed, it just happens to be the gear no one was using. Any gear item that gave a flat increase to armor, life, resistance, mastery, power, etc was replaced with a percentage increase instead, usually based on the starting match value. That represents significant buffs for several pieces including items that are actually in current use like the Royal Chest. Night Wand is actually much better than it was before, and it’s a mana-generating item. Do these buffs make up for the nerfs to the mana generating gear? I don’t know. It certainly slows things down, but perhaps we will see different builds arise. But I do think it’s fair to point out that its not all nerfs.

2 Likes

Imagine how much more interest and excitement there might be over those pieces of gear, if we hadn’t had to salvage 852 of each due to the combination of: 1) the realities of the game we had to play prior to the update, and 2) the lack of reasonable inventory space.

But no. We had to have specific pvp meta in every color. We needed at least one of every weapon group, also in every color. You could skip those, but only if you hate gems and the important things you need to buy with them. Then you needed to have certain pieces and sets to survive pve content. Again, in every color, if you wanted to take advantage of mastery. You could skip some of those, but only if you didn’t want that legendary rune, locked behind that L100 daily dungeon.

There is a lot of angst with this update. But I can’t help but think that a good chunk of it could have been avoided by listening to us when we told them we need more inventory.

3 Likes

How are the gem creating spells looking post patch? Like channel light?

Channel spells do the same thing but cost 135 instead of 110

1 Like

All the things not included in the Patch Notes:

4 Likes

Hey everyone,

As our very early adopters of Puzzle Quest 3 you’ve had a very atypical experience of the game compared to players who will be starting after the official release, because you’ve been there with us from the start! Helping us improve the game to make it what it is today. You’ve been through all the changes to the game with us during this testing phase, some were cool, some were, in retrospect not great and it was in great part thanks to your participation and feedback that we were able to identify areas for improvement.

Thanks to this Early Access phase, the players who join our community for the official release will have a much better experience.

During this last week before the game officially launches we will be making further balance changes and we will not necessarily list out every change made. We need the flexibility to iterate on the balance now quickly and often and have always relied heavily on the game data to ensure those changes have the intended effect on the overall game balance and experience.

This is the nature of the Early Access beast - change fast, change often, wait for results, change again. On repeat until it feels right.

Balance changes made after the official release of the game will be documented in patch notes and there should be far less drastic balance changes after the official release thanks to everything we’ve done together throughout the Early Access.

There are 2 changes that I’ve been made aware of that will be going live today/this week:

• Eveline’s crafting options are going to be made generally cheaper/faster
  • The scores required for the Chest Rewards in the Event Dungeons and Event Sieges will be adjusted to ensure they are all achievable rewards after the enemies in those Dungeons were made easier last week (which affected the scoring).

One of the biggest requests from our Early Access community is for increased inventory space.
I’ve raised this with the team again last week and we’ll be documenting more of the inventory space feedback for the team this week for further consideration.

If you would like to add to this discussion I would suggest posting in this existing thread here:

I feel like this is a good place to have the inventory space discussion and I’ll definitely be on the look out for any further comments about the matter this week partricularly.

3 Likes

Okay, but…I sti;ll haven’t been able to update.

I have been unable to update, but glad to hear the event scoring is being patched! Also the Eveline change sounds interesting and almost makes me wish that I COULD update.

Good afternoon.
I was expecting a similar answer, in your style. But, you haven’t commented on the screenshot, do you think this situation is normal? will the system be revised?

Lol Asmo. I very much doubt they’ll change anything. A grand majority of those tickets gave me wooden and iron chests. 50ish Gold, 30ish Ruby and about 15 Diamond Chests. Of course all with nothing worthwhile above blue rarity

I would like to report about playability after update from a level 50(169) player with gear and spells on legendary and epic level.
Before I only played level 100 skirmishes and dungeons mainly without any reduction in armor, and resistance. As well every PvP I closed with 2500 score and every event on max score.
Now I can hit level 70 dungeons and skirmishes mostly, level 80/85 rarely and level 100 never. Max possible score in PvP is 2475 now at about 50% chance. Score 2500 is impossible.
Causes: 1. Low mana spells are drastically increased from 55 to 100 while 2. the starting mana values by i.e. bone rings are stronly reduced and 3. The mana refresh rate by elven charm was drastically reduced as well 4. Barrier reduced

As consequence it is not possible 1. To fill the mana at first turn 2. Mostly possible to fill at second turn. But not enough gems to create a stun barrier → now already got 2 hits by enemy (armor abot 14000 to 20000 down)3. If at 3rd turn I cannot create a stun barrier, I will be dead lateron.
In case of level100 dungeons with dragons there is a special problem with dragon breath which is too mighty and the mana fill rate is too high (full at 2nd turn). For a level 100 dragon three turns are needed at least. If possible, a stun must be avoided at 1st turn and hit taken on armor. At 2nd turn a stun barrier is needed and can hopefully be created because dragon use now its breath. But at 3rd turn a stun is not possible. So I will be dead despite damage by 3 legendary offense spells (smite, sacred flame, sunburst)+ devine steed plus hit damage by legendary weapon

Even with mythic weapon and spells this wont be possible!

Speaking about uplevelling:
since XP- level 168 I needed more than 30000 XP- points for next level. Before update I got stones ( PvP 30; skirmish 70; dungeon 140 ) to build the road to citadel-heaven. But now you gave us only pebbles (PvP 10; skirmish 18; dungeon 35) whereas highest XP-values are not reachable. But we need rocks to reach level 200 and more!
When I was power-playing I made about 1000 crests and about 15000 XP per day. But now I am on about 300 crests and 1500 XP per day only.

4 Likes

I doubt it very much too. But, I’m just curious to see the answer to this question. I stopped the game, as well as their other project.

Thank you for sharing your experience, for those of us who could not update.

STILL CANNOT UPDATE TO LATEST VERSION!

(placeholder text here because it’s not allowing that as is)

Reading >>> Shouting

Any word on when these two changes will go into effect, most importantly the second one? Those that have updated have not had the scoring adjusted and are still getting affected on the leaderboard as a result.

EDIT In conferring with some folks who are under the update, it does appear that the second bullet has been done. As @Kafka says, the event reward scores have been adjusted, not the scoring of the players themselves. So the misalignment on the scoreboard will just persist until everyone updates. So it looks like we are just waiting to see the Eveline changes.

Considering these are now TWO updates I’m missing out on, I have every right to shout because I am literally unable to play the version that is the most recent, and therefore has the latest balance changes, bug fixes and overall playability. This version disparity may impact my ability to transfer my save data when it launches on Steam. I worked very hard to barely be unable to finish this game and by god, I will fight tooth and nail to get through those last few sections by any (legal by ToS) means necessary.

There is another area where playability resulted in a strong decrease now in 1.01:
The tavern / goals area
Before update from 0.39 I was level 50(169) and reached ( remark: because update was done automatically I had no chance to make screenshot, but I try to remember correctly):
Progress (Gold): 11,5 of 15 % max
Masteries: 12,5 of 15% max
Speed: 14,8 of 20% ( not sure)
Power: 42.3 of 45% max

After update to 1.01 my progress was considered in recalculation, but

1. ended in very low values
    Gold 5,1%
    Power 1,5%; masteries 1,8%
    New was vitality 4,5%
  2. showed very low max values
    Gold 5,5%; Masteries 5,4%
    Power 5,1%; Vitality 5,1%

So I lost about 40% in Power, 10% in masteries and about 15% in Speed.
Gold is also lower, but doesnt matter. There is always too much (more than 20000 a day)

New max goals percentages in 1.01:

• Progress (Gold) → +5.5%

• Complete Chapters: 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 15
    • Side Quests: First Sidequest, one each (14 total) for completing each Follower’s full sidequest chain
    • Join a Kingdom
    • Join a Open PvP Tourney: one for each Rank (Bronze, Silver, Gold , Platinum, Challenger)
    • Join a Restricted PvP Tourney: one for each Rank (Bronze, Silver, Gold , Platinum, Challenger)
    • Join an Elite PvP Tourney: one for each Rank (Bronze, Silver, Gold , Platinum, Challenger)
    • Reach Citadel Level: 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160, 180, 200
    • Follower Level-Ups (Reach Level X on Y Followers): [10, 1] , [20, 3], [30, 5], [40, 10], [50, 15]
  • Heroes (Masteries) → 5.4%

• Cast Assassin Ultimate Spells: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000
    • Cast Beserker Ultimate Spells: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000
    • Cast Necromancer Ultimate Spells: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000
    • Cast Paladin Ultimate Spells: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000
    • Cast Shaman Ultimate Spells: 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000
    • Complete Story with each class: (5 total)
    • Reach Level X for each class: (every 10 levels, one set for each class)
    • Create a first Hero
    • Reach Level X on any Hero: 10, 25, 50
    • Defeat same hero class as PvP Opponent 10 times: (one each for each hero class)
  • Battle (Power) → 5.1%

• Clear a Challenge at Level X: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
    • Defeat Enemies in Events: 10, 30, 75, 150, 300, 700, 1000, 1500, 2500, 5000
    • Defeat Dragons: 5, 15, 50, 100, 250
    • Win any battle: 20, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000, 20000
    • Beat any dungeon: 5, 25, 100, 500, 1000
    • Win any PvP Battle: 5, 25, 100, 500, 1000
    • Win any skirmish: 5, 25, 100, 500, 1000
    • Win a single Co-Op battle
  • Collection (Vitality) → 5.1%

• Equip first armor bonus (2 piece set)
    • Equip first full set of armor (6 piece set)
    • Obtain a set bonus at Uncommon rarity: 2, 4, 6 pieces
    • Obtain a set bonus at Rare rarity: 2, 4, 6 pieces
    • Obtain a set bonus at Epic rarity: 2, 4, 6 pieces
    • Obtain a set bonus at Legendary rarity: 2, 4, 6 pieces
    • Obtain a set bonus at Mythic rarity: 2, 4, 6 pieces
    • Obtain a Spell set bonus: 2, 3, 4 spells
    • Raise a spell to level X: 10, 20, 30, 40
    • Raise a weapon to level X: 10, 20, 30, 40
    • Raise an armor piece to level X: 10, 20, 30, 40
    • Raise an accessory to level X: 10, 20, 30, 40
    • Raise a minion to level X: 10, 20, 30, 40
    • Raise a single piece of any gear to level 50
    • Collect 25 minions
    • Collect 10 spells
    • Own unique pieces of gear: 25, 50
    • Raise an item with an elemental attribute to level 45: (one for each elemental color)

That’s some small boost numbers, and almost irrelevant. Most veteran players here will likely have the majority of this list of this list auto-completed outside of the kill tasks.

2 Likes