Update 0.38 – Patch Notes

Doing pvp and high level content gives a lot of exp, with a mono ice build I managed to get to the last story chapter with less than 800 power in about two weeks from installing the game, reaching past level 50.
Now you killed my build - ok, it may have been cheesy, but hey, not me making the game here - and events basically oneshot me in a single turn, for the foreseeable next weeks I can give up even trying.
Yes, feels balanced… Well, time to uninstall I guess

Apparently this update kills Android emulator playability too? Yep, now I know I ain’t coming back.

As a follow up, I decided to reinstall again to get back to try to get back to the previous version, as I already managed to do a few times to try to fix a bug with chests.

Yes, it didn’t go very well… I guess the game doesn’t want me back at all >_>
As a long time fan of the original puzzle quest, galactrix and gems of war… I’m sadly out
It’s been fun obsessing for a couple of weeks tho, the diagonal multi move system is my new favourite in the genre. Or was, anyway.

Yep, was thinking the same.
Is it now - go reset the daily store, spend, earn till cap - repeat.

I’m in the same situation. Made it through most of the story with low gear score because of luck and stun mechanic. Now everything is super difficult to fight. Easy mode is flagged as “very hard”. This update made it impossible to play.

1 Like

No, it is not a solution to the problem. This “+25” is what they should have done 2 weeks ago as a temporary fix until the real fix arrived in .38, which we now know does not exist. This new temporary fix will take me from 95 to 120. It will give me a temporary sigh of relief, but I already know it will not fix the problem because there are already a lot of players sitting at 120 storage that have also been complaining about storage being an issue.

Maybe for those who were at 120, who now enjoy 145, it will be better. I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t care. I’m sitting at the inventory max for the game as it is currently designed – (95 +25) 120. Anyone higher than that was able to get higher than that under a different game build that allowed them to advance their Followers more than what is possible now. A max inventory of 120 is not enough!!!

1 Like

Well I guess we got our answer. I logged in today and wasn’t given an update option - immediately got this:

This seems counterintuitive and appears to be what is impacting numerous player complaints both in game chat and here on the forums. If you find that the changes you are making results in players being able to do additional damage, then the generic balancing mechanism is to increase enemies’ health or resistance totals. You do not create “balance” by increasing the enemies’ damage output. I keep reading this patch note over and over and I have no clue what sort of “balance” is being sought.

EDIT: To put a finer point on this, 0.36 you introduced difficulty changes that were likely necessary due to gear changes and other factors such as playtime completion, etc. but the feedback was overwhelmingly negative. You responded to this feedback by reducing both the damage changes (reducing a Diff X base level attack from ~25k to ~15k) and the defense stats (Health/Resistance/Armor pools were all lowered about 20% from the drastic increases of 0.36). So in theory, you achieved some balance around Enemy Damage output (still a challenge but not one shotting players in matches) and Enemy Defense (still takes more turns to complete but it’s not as tedious and leading to 30 minute match timeouts).

Now you introduced spell changes which increase the players’ damage output (in theory), but your response is to bring back the one-shot/two-shot damage capability of enemies. Again, how is this an effort to achieve “balance”? Increasing the Enemy Defense values makes sense at least.

5 Likes

I also just logged in and was still given the option to update or not.

Hmmm… I was being careful not to update and pretty sure I didn’t accidently hit anything during the 10 seconds of loading. (Playing on Android.)

Guess I’ll find out how marks, mana and such affect my play.

I’m on android and still playing 0.37. When I open the app it gives me the option to update or not?!

I don’t think I cheesed the build thing quite so much as others, with a tri-build Necro getting to 50 weeks back, 43 points into citadel, and gear score of 1589 (everything epic but one ring). Looking at each fight type though in .38, it’s looking pretty bleak.

Story: it seems pretty unlikely I’m going to be able to finish chapter 15 without enormous luck (crits, resurrections against final bosses etc.), as the skirmish level fights are level 42.

Dungeons/Skirmishes: Level 30 is too easy, Level 40 is too hard. In .37, I was doing hard mode for most dungeons, which was levels 35-38, and were a challenge. The jump from 35 to 40 means dying to the first mob every fight.

Daily Events: they are not one shots for me, but I’m having to frontload a lot of damage to beat the mini-boss, leaving little for the main boss, who one or two-shots me. This results in enough points to get a single chest. If I get a crit, I can beat either.

PVP: Never really bothered with it, won’t start now.

It seems like the best bet is to adjust my build to crit chance and cross my fingers each fight. This seems remarkably short-sighted. The main gold sink (1000 gold for dungeon marks) has been eliminated too, so I’ll probably just have 20K gold sitting around most of the time. Again, not a good move.

Pvp has devolved into a race for the T0 gear. It should be more challenging to face opponents.

The game economy is horrible. Gold, food, and runes need a sink. The shard tiers are still bad because the superior shards still drop at a much higher rate.

Kingdoms need a much needed buff. The kingdom bazaar is always out of stock. Buying marks with food is currently heavily rationed on a trust system for this reason. Get rid of the limits on buying goods or at least expand the bazaar. Give the kingdom more goals they can accomplish together.

What is the end game? Dungeons just lost the ability to farm marks. The chests you get with them are brimming with trash for you to salvage at a pittance. End game needs a better reward system.

Actual gameplay is still pretty static. The new mana system does encourage player to utilize more types of spells but there is no purpose of healing in the game because of how much damage is being done relative to a players life bar. Why heal or generate armor when gaining barrier from a Dwarven necklace is so much better? Enemies should have better board changing abilities and harsher debuffs. Comboing should be encouraged more so the gameplay is less mindless.

My 2 cents

7 Likes

it works, just update to BlueStacks 5 / 64 bits / Pie beta.

1 Like

Here’s something that should have been considered in the changes to Marks:

6 Likes

This update really killed chest gain.
Also, I have to say I don’t agree with removing marks from dungeons now as it really felt like a nice bonus to running dungeons. Now the gain of marks is massively tied to events and spending gems.

It ties into @Sibelios point of now making kingdom food deal even more of a burden as its the only way to be guaranteed marks.

I think the event change was fantastic and the store is not a bad implementation but I hope mark gain is revisited

1 Like

This is a head scratcher for me, as well. I mean I sort of get it. But with the other changes to dungeons and chest contents, and the pitiful trickle of marks in events, it seems there needs to be another source of marks. It doesn’t have to be a lot of marks, but some.

3 Likes

Before the patch the game ran decent on my phone. I don’t have the best of phones and I had everything at low settings and so forth and nothing running in the back. Since the update if I get 5-10 minutes of game play before I game freezes (doesn’t matter where in game I am) and then I have to close the app. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and removing apps I’m not using. @Jeto I haven’t see any else mention issues on the forum should I put a ticket in?

That would very likely have something to do with the new version of Unity engine that the game now runs on thanks to this update. It’s tanked performance everywhere. Even my mid range phone (Snapdragon 765G) is struggling around the place, I’ll be disappointed if they don’t optimise performance back to previous levels

I have had this issue even before the patch. There have been 0 versions where performance was good on a low end phone.

Game after only a few minutes will go down to less than 1 frame per second for multiple seconds. When doing some of my dailies yesterday, it took me around 5 minutes to cast 4 spells, something that should normally take around 10 seconds.

2 Likes