Player dialogue needs more variety/fantasy

I choose Necromancer for my starting character and finished the all the way up to the first dungeon. I just found it strange that my necromancer spoke like he was just a regular guy. He was too polite with the whole “Yes mam” and “thank you” Just felt way too formal for a guy who conjures the dead. I think the role playing element could use a bit retooling in this regard. A small change, I know, but the way he spoke really broke the fantasy for me.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback!

I’m one of the writers on the game, and for some context localising games is quite expensive. Also, when doing custom dialogue for Hero characters, if you go to far from centre some people can also be alienated by that. It’s a hard line to tread, but I’ve mad a note of your feedback. We may not be able to re write anything at this stage, but I can keep it in mind for the future if things change. Thank you!

1 Like

@Mirrors

I completely understand where you are coming from. I think that this is one of those things that is pretty much impossible to get right, so it makes a lot of sense to me that they didn’t really do much with it.

What I mean is this: No matter the game, no canned dialogue is really going to fit everyone, or even most everyone, in terms of player characters. This is because the necromancer that lives in your head, is not the same one that lives in my head, or the one that lives in Salty’s head, etc.

We are going to generally accept NPC dialogue (unless its just bad) because our brains don’t take it personally. When its time for our character to “speak” we take it personally. Could it be spiffed up? Sure. But its always going to sound wrong to a good chunk of people.

So yeah. I guess what I am saying is that this is just an unfortunate limitation of any sort of digital role play. It’s exacerbated by the fact that this isn’t really a rpg. You are not wrong about the tone. I keep forgetting my necro isn’t a teenage paladin, lol. But I’m almost certain, that I’d also be rolling my eyes if “my” dialogue was too “this is what a necro would say.”

Some day, our great grand kids will get to provide their own dialogue and the ai/npc will react in a non canned fashion. Today is not that day.

1 Like

Something I’ve suggested to the team is adding more multiple choice dialogue options so you can feel more in control of your character’s personality at key moments. It won’t completely fix the problem, but I think it could help. What do you all think?

4 Likes

Sure, that’s a good idea. It’s funny, when there is a multiple choice, I always pick the fluffy bunny answer, because it fits best with all of the other non choice things my character says. It’s like who’s playing who here? haha I think it would add some more fun to have more choices in dialogue!

That said, I’m happy enough reading what everyone else is saying. We need more Gong, though. :nerd_face: