PQ3 Currently Has No Purpose Beyond Storyline Completion

Salty has already commented on this.

Story mode has to be hard. PQ3 is a F2P game, which means that the game needs to sell players things. If the game is too easy, players will not feel the need to buy offers to get them through difficult patches of the story.

Most of the followers are supposed to be sources of random things (to slow players down) when trying to find the appropriate rarity’s dupes to upgrade a thing to its next rarity tier…

… and yeah, that’s a problem IMO. Not that the upgrading difficulty is hard (that’s surely intended), but rather that dungeon runs focus on a specific set of gear that make it easy to gather those required dupes. In turn, that trivializes the role of the weaponsmith, armorsmith, and the artisan. The mage dodges this issue, as dungeons seemingly only drop spells that are unique to them.

From the FAQ:

I would presume that not all of the game’s “live-service” features are enabled yet. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if there isn’t weekly events to complete, similar to GoW.

Personal opinion, but I think the devs have been sent back to the drawing board on what to do about these issues. That said, making lemonade out of lemons, for the longevity of the game finding these issues now before the game formally has a hard launch and then finding out about these issues is the vastly more favorable outcome.