[REPORTED] Typo: xione misspells background in mutiny chapter 11

The subject really says it all.
Backgrgound
Platform, device and operation system
Eg, Android, Samsung Galazy s8, Nougat

What were you expecting to happen, and what actually happened
If you are on a console device please feel free to take a photo using another device. Where possible, a video helps us best. Try uploading it to Youtube privately.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Is this a once-off issue or has it been a consistent issue? Does it only happen in specific circumstances?

Steps to make it happen again
Please detail the steps taken to trigger this bug. The more detailed the breakdown, the easier it is for us to test in-house.

A bit of more info how to navigate there wouldā€™ve been useful. The bug template is there for a reason.

Let me fill that in so that the devs donā€™t have to waste their time on searching the right files:

Typo resides in quest ID 700047 (ā€œScrap Metalā€), part ID 811161 (first part), so itā€™s to be found within PuzzleQuest3_Conv_811161_enUS.json, and is in the following line:

"[811161_LINE_04]":"If I must. Will gathering these golem parts be the backgrgound to our epic tale?",

Cheers, Gary.

1 Like

Hi Gary.

Iā€™m in a grumpy mood, and oh boy did you just volunteer.

Your welcome for all the details I find and report to make this game better. Please explain how I was supposed to know the internal information of quest ID and json file. Thatā€™s not made available to your beta test users, and thatā€™s what I am.

What part of the bug report template would have been useful?

• This bug occurs all the time.
  • If this bug doesnā€™t happen on every possible platform, Iā€™d love to play the alternate story lines!
  • To reproduce this bug, get to: oh. Mutinyā€™s quest of chapter 11, to a line xione said.
  • how long has this bug existed? Iā€™ve only been here once before, and if I noticed the typo I didnā€™t feel compelled to report it at the time. Your attitude - you, specifically - do not exactly compel me to report any others.

I donā€™t know what your position is, but you clearly have access to internal data that users do not.
Unless you can appreciate things from the userā€™s perspective, itā€™s probably best if you donā€™t communicate with us.

Gary is a player just like the rest of us. He and a few others have data crawled the game to pull out helpful things within the game.

1 Like

Gary is not a special beta tester for pq3. He volunteers a large chunk of his free time to help the community with discord bots, guides and general knowledge about the game. He is a player of this game, just like you and me and I donā€™t think a personal attack because you are in ā€˜a grumpy moodā€™ is a great way to treat a respected pillar of the community.

Letā€™s take a look at the bug template and work through it together:

Platform, device and operation system
if you believe its going to happen on all devices, say so, the Devs arenā€™t mind readers, they need to know this information regardless

What were you expecting to happen, and what actually happened

• I expected no typos, I expected xioneā€™s text to say background but instead it says (insert the incorrect spelling)*

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
*eg. This is the first time I have seen the typo because its the first class I have played past this chapter *

Steps to make it happen again
open game >battles>chapter 11> (insert the name of the battle where there is the typo or does she say background multiple times in chapter 11?? )

Personally if Iā€™d made a bug report and someone took their free time to add more info to get it fixed quicker Iā€™d be saying thanks but maybe Iā€™m just old fashioned. Either way I hope your Sunday resolves to be a bit brighter.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting us know.

That was not part of what anyone asked you for.

Thatā€™s what I am, too.

I traced the game files for a bit, because that quest line is long, so getting the context, such as the quest name, or maybe a screenshot wouldā€™ve helped.

:thinking: So me enriching your report with the information that helps devs locate & fix the typo faster is something that makes you want to report less bugs?

None whatsoever. Iā€™m a regular user & beta tester. How did you infer me having any position there?

I am using a file browser on my Android phone.

I only have the userā€™s perspective, and my Discord ID is gary#3251 , feel free to block me there too.

Cheers, Gary.

2 Likes

Gary exists. That is all.

1 Like

I am in a slightly better mood, but I did feel attacked by Garyā€™s tone. The bug report template does not apply for a typo. There was no better detail a regular user could give than: chapter 11, mutinyā€™s quest, xioneā€™s statement of a particular word, with the misspelling explicitly called out to make for an easy find and replace.

Someone convince me that the bug report template has any significance here. Hawx tried. But in filling out the template, what he provided is noise, not any useful information. No dev will use any of the information to solve this simple issue. ā€œI expected no typos?ā€ As Gary showed, thatā€™s not useful data. I donā€™t know any platform anyone would develop on where they couldnā€™t trivially do a find for ā€œbackgrgoundā€ and replace it with the correct spelling. Typos in text files arenā€™t hard for developers with a development environment.

A screenshot may have helped, but doesnā€™t give any other mission info. I didnā€™t even realize that the mission has a title. I figured ā€œmutinyā€™s quest in chapter 11ā€ was specific enough.

@Gary - I say this sincerely: thank you for providing the exact data to locate the typo. You see the game from a perspective I have no interest in seeing, and Iā€™m grateful for the added detail.

I absolutely disagree that spending time to fill out a detailed bug report would have made it any easier on the devs. When my reports are insufficient, Salty calls me out and I give better details. It has happened, but not often.

Iā€™ll be quiet now.

No I am not. I want to be judged by my actions, not my status. While quite a few people know what and how I do things, thatā€™s not what should define me.

I am straight in my answers, giving the information needed. When I mention that I wouldā€™ve found something to do useful thatā€™s all I mean, no grudge.
I donā€™t want anyone to take offense from that, and I donā€™t want anyone who does to shut up, but have a civil discussion about it and sort things out.

Coming back to the core topic of this bug report, and shedding some light on my thinking:

Not long ago Salty wrote a blog post about how the story for Puzzle Quest 3 is written. She also shared the following screenshot:

So while youā€™re generally right about the editorā€™s search and replace, in this case it appears to me that the person editing the scripts has a tool that structures all dialog and gives a non-text-editor like workflow, that heavily benefits from the details I provided.

This very thing I did before, and the bugs were fixed amazingly fast afterwards.

Cheers, Gary.

1 Like

Sorry. Fixed.

Cheers,
Sib

2 Likes

lol that made my day :laughing:

2 Likes

@Scott.Mermelstein Context addition: that kind of stuff Iā€™m doing all over the place, also for GoW.
Check the forums over there :wink:

Cheers, Gary.

@Scott.Mermelstein thanks for submitting this spelling mistake!

I have passed it on to the Dev team. If you find any others definitely send them through.

In general the most helpful information for submitted any bugs that donā€™t fit the standard template if you can, include a screenshot if possible and as much information as to where you found the issue.
In future as PQ3 releases on more platforms then we will need to know the device.

Also if a dev/support team member is responding in a forum thread we have a little shield next to our icon. Hopefully helpful to clear up any confusion in future.

Thanks again!

Jeto - Support Member :woman_mage:t2:

2 Likes