Now that version 0.36 has been out for a little while, figured I give my feedback on it. My initial impressions were that it was bad, but I didn’t quite realize how deep it goes.
My main issues currently are the following:
- Daily system takes WAY too long. Before all dailies, including maintaining chests, took around 30-60 minutes. In the current state of the game, this has been increased to 2-4 hours. This is a result of the game adding challenges, adding events, and the increased stats making mark farming substantially slower. In comparison, Gems of War’s daily and weekly system combined is around 10 hours most weeks, where the current state of PQ3 is at 14-28 hours despite there likely being even more planned.
- All non-pure color builds have been phased out of the game. This is one of the weirdest changes in 0.36, as the dev stream mentioned they wanted to make pure color builds weaker. Despite this, the most recent patch made anything that isn’t a pure color build useless. This is due to multiple factors, but the main one being how much mastery colored gear gives now. Since a player can only wear 1 piece of single colored gear per slot, it makes no sense to not make it as pure colored as possible to maximize the ability of a single color. The best 4 color builds in the game were also completely phased out due to the increased mana cost, and 2 color builds are now unrealistically weak and slow compared to 1 color, whereas before they at least functioned at a decent speed despite not being meta.
- Ascensions that matter are still nonexistent. While the patch added a lot of ascension material, all the ascensions that really matter, legendary and mythic, are still near impossible to do. This has been the issue since day 1 of the game and every patch has made it HARDER to do this, not easier. The biggest issue with this is the glyph drop rate. Since version 0.35 months ago, I still have gotten 0 total glyphs. 2 are needed for a legend, 4 are needed for a mythic, and 14 are needed for a maxed mythic. One week of this patch has yielded 0, 2 months of previous patch has yielded 0. They are the most crucial resource in the game yet seemingly don’t exist in any reasonable way.
- Battles take too long. Even before this patch battles were taking too long. Between timer, animations, and everything else a single turn can often take several seconds. Biggest issue with this currently is all enemies are way too bulky relative to damage output that can be done to them. The few second timer not having a way to deplete automatically to 0 with consistency makes these battles go on forever, as dozens of these mandatory timers go off during the course of a battle elongating it even further. This has been requested many times in the past, but no response yet.
- Gear balance is nonexistent. Gear within the game were not touched at all in the most recent patch, causing some laughably bad equipment now. Some things that were good became useless, and everything with a scaling capability have become the only equipment that matter. Build diversity in the game has never been lower as only a few strategies can deal with higher level content in a even remotely timely manner.
- Citadel reset and balance. This is something that the game has been needing since day 1, even made a thread for it on week 1 of the beta, but it is more apparent than ever in the most recent patch. For the longest time many of the citadel bonuses don’t even work properly, the balance on them is horrific, the meta for which one is best changes literally every single patch, and through it all there is still no way to change them.
So far around 25% of all guilds members in most guilds quit after the 0.36 patch. Would be nice to finally see a major patch that doesn’t make the game more unplayable again like 0.35 and 0.36.