45 Days Later ... Relic drop rates are absurdly low regardless what happens in 0.36

I finally received a crystal from a level 100 ruby chest.

Relics are nonexistant

FYI, the lead developer and game creator Steve Faulkner said he was frustrated with the relic issues as well and formally apologized for this issue on the PQ3 stream.

He assured everyone it would be fixed in 0.36.

From the stream, it sounded like 0.36 was on its way, but perhaps not imminent (just my interpretation).

1 Like

So at least they are starting to get it.

Hopefully there’s a playerbase left by .36

1 Like

My issue with this interpretation is that the “fix” is simply whatever they have planned as the “primary” means to acquire relics in 0.36. Steve was still using the language of the patch notes that there were these dungeon-themed relics that could be acquired by completing dungeons but the mathematical reality is that is not true. So yes, I appreciate him acknowledging that it was a failure of implementation to not provide the actual intended means of collecting relics when they rolled out the relic upgrade system, but they should go back and amend the notes to clearly indicate that the possibility of ‘Dungeon completions’ as a means to acquire relics, and by extension, glyphs is just not true. Clearly the drop rate is 0.1% or less which means you would need to open 1000 eligible chests to get 1 relic. That is not a “means” to obtain anything.

4 Likes

NO SOUP FOR YOU.

20 characters.

1 Like

sigh

All of you are still on high horses about this, even after yesterday’s stream?

The game is in an unfinished state, it was stated so on the stream, and there should be NO expectations that anything is fully functional or working as will be intended at launch until the game reaches version 1.0.

Oh I see, now that the lead designer has said “Whoopsie” we are all supposed to just go back to being grateful testers who should feel blessed to even have the opportunity to bask in the glow of early access. Thanks for your insult.

1 Like

Interesting choice of metaphor here. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Keep it civil, team.

I thought it was important to discuss that the game is in early access, and speak generally about what early access is to different companies and titles. I wanted there to be more understanding of how we are approaching early access, and explain that there will be more changes (and experiments with resources, the economy, features, etc) coming.

2 Likes

I don’t remember Sirrian saying “whoopsie” about the situation. He was sympathetic with the situation currently and apologized for the inconveniences 0.35 caused players. But, that was as far as he went on that, to the best of my knowledge.

There’s literally nothing stopping you from taking a break until the game reaches a further developed state. Many players in the guild I am in are doing just that until the game receives additional game modes than just the base Story questline as a breather.

My personal perceptions over the streams this week (both GoW and PQ3) have been if that there was any regrets on the devs’ side of the game currently regarding the state of the game, it would be that the game was opened up to players too soon in Early Access with players expecting the game state to be more like a GoW beta where the initial beta state shown to testers is 95% complete versus the initial PQ3 Early Access state being only ~50% complete.

From reactions on the forum over the situation, I can’t disagree with their implied conclusion. (Personal observation: this was likely the “Early Access lesson learned” Sirrian alluded to on yesterday’s stream.)

Even though I did not do so, I almost feel like I need to go back to write up a full stream summary on yesterday’s stream. There’s an awful lot of context missing from EliteMasterEric’s short summary.

Literally nothing stopping you from not chiming in with your opinion about other players’ views of development issues. The fact that I think there is still an issue with the purported availability of upgrade materials, particularly since we have no specific details about the how the new system will work, is a legitimate observation and in my opinion a valid critique. For some reason though, you feel the need to come in and opine as if you are some sort of developer-player referee and chide people as if we are some sort of petulant children. It’s unnecessary and quite frankly is indicative of your intent to make this personal.

Sorry @Salty, I was busy on my high horse. I will do my best.

2 Likes

I’m going to add a bit more response because I’m pretty confident I listened to the stream just as well as @Lyrian did, so since he wants to discuss the stream further, I look forward to hearing his commentary and evaluating his opinions. In the meantime …

Personal Observation: Sirrian said specifically that early access has been great for the game. Doesn’t sound like he’s filled with regrets.

Fair point! He did not say the word “Whoopsie”. Instead, at 29:15 in the stream in responding to this question: “It’s frustrating that upgrading gear was basically made impossible with no interim workaround (like Dungeons) added in the meantime. Was it considered to add a temporary means of adding relics until the introduction of Challenges?”, Sirrian responded by saying: "I hear what you are saying, it’s a bit frustrating about upgrading the gear, that’s kind of what I was touching on earlier about the relics, and it’s an early access thing, we hit some versions and get them out … the relics went in without the drip feed of the relics going with it and that was unfortunate and I apologize for it … it was just a product of being early access and we want to umm … it will be there in the next update and you will be able to get the things that you need in a more regular fashion and if they are not coming to you quick enough we will be able to see that in the data and we will be able to up the appearance rate of them"

Please feel free to check my transcription. Ultimately, we have the promise of a “more regular fashion” being introduced, but previously we were also told that relics were able to be acquired through Dungeon completions (how many have you found?). So you will forgive me if I’m skeptical about the effect of the “more regular fashion” mentioned. If the new mode is going to be completely event locked and completions will only be able to occur at a known daily rate, what additional data is needed then to be observed? What are the variables involved? Do you get to select the evolve currency you receive or is it random. They have this information; we don’t. And therefore I will continue to discuss it because I think it’s worth talking about as we evaluate how they plan to allow the players to play the game. Clearly we have already influenced the conversation around this and perhaps provided feedback that challenged them to think about what they offer players. I think that’s a good thing.

1 Like

::wince:: Seriously. :woman_facepalming:

This is not a “people expect the finished game” issue. It’s an unfortunate communication blunder. Blunders happen. They do. Especially via written communication. They happen in all directions also. (I blunder several times a minute) No shame. Literally one word out of place and kablooey!

I happen to think it was all addressed well in the stream. Neither Steve, nor Salty explicitly said that the patch notes were just wrong, but I personally don’t need that. This isn’t the Hague! :rofl: As they say… nobody died.

Looking forward to 0.36!

1 Like

To be fair, I went to great lengths to say that the patch notes were wrong as they regard Relics :sweat_smile: I do, however, agree that no deaths were caused by the patch notes. :wink:

EDIT: Sorry @Tresk I see what you mean now :laughing: :+1:

2 Likes

Nonono… My fault. My writing was awkward there!

I was trying to say that during the stream, neither Salty nor Steve flat out said that the notes were just wrong.

I will edit my comment for clarity.

1 Like

@Sibelios or Nopolin? Sorry I couldnt resist. Everyones entitled to there opinion and I’m with you Sib! It’s more like should waited 6 months and release a functioning game JUST SAYING! =)

And yes I know its BETA

After about 33 days, I finally found my 1st relic!

A lucky rabbit’s foot off of a level 100 ruby. Still none off of level 100 diamonds despite running 20x as many of them.

Even once the primary method for obtaining relics is added to the game, their drop rate from chests is WAAAAAAY too low.

3 Likes

Congratulations, we are now tied on our 33 day drop rates! Solidarity!

1 Like

Checking in with some data. Yep, still just 1 relic in 35 days.

download (1)

2 Likes

Hopefully the next update is within the next day. It has to be pretty soon at this point. This week’s Monday/Tuesday or next week’s Monday/Tuesday seems rather inevitable for it.

Hopefully it doesn’t break more than it fixes like last update. XD