Changes to Mana Generation worse than I thought

I wasn’t a great fan of the latest Mana generation changes, and I just realised that they are worse than I originally thought.
Not only does Mana not fill up all the spells with the full amount anymore, which really slows the game down for magic based builds, but it still keeps putting the Mana into filled spells even if there are empty slots further down the spell slots, not much of an issue with multi-coloured builds I guess but really punishing mono builds.

Could a change be made either skip any full spell slots in favour of empty other spell slots, or allow a spell to fill multiple times like the ultimate spells.

1 Like

I’m still playing around with a few classes trying to find which combinations work better than others, though admittedly have been focusing very much on mono colour builds.

While the mana being split across the 4 slots (mono build) does reduce the amount of mana going to that spell, impacting on charging up all spells, there are a couple of other changes which significantly boost mana generation.

• 4 Spells of the same Mastery Color
    • +100% Mastery in battle.
    • First spell of that color gains +225% Mana and +400% Mana Damage
    • Second spell of that color gains +175% Mana and +300% Mana Damage
    • Third spell of that color gains +125% Mana and +200% Mana Damage
    • Fourth spell of that color gains +75% Mana

Just by having 4 spells of the same colour your Mastery is doubled. This doesn’t mean double mana generation, but it should add an extra point or two per gem (possibly more at multiple hundred mastery levels) as well as increasing the damage dealt.
But then which slot you put spells into will also impact how much mana they gain from matches and how much damage they do when cast.

Matching 3 regular gems - slots 1 and 2 gain more mana than before. Slot 3 slightly lower than before. Slot 4 gets nothing. You now need to match atleast 4 to put anything into slot 4. If you have low mana cost spells it is possible for slot 1 or 2 to already be charged with just these basic matches. Manage to match 5 or 6, a second gem gets assigned to the 1st/2nd slot, doubling what mana they get and even some 100+ spells can be cast with that which is a bit easier than before.

If you are just relying on matching the gems the board gives you, then it will be hard work, resulting in lots of small quantity gem matches, in turn getting split in 1 and 2 across each slot.

But if you utilise spells that also generate gems, convert from one colour to another, or result in more big gems, then you can produce some much more powerful matches that fill all your spell slots.

I do like the idea that fully charged spells could be skipped in the charge up, particularly with the game auto-resolving boards early from lack of moves.

I would agree with this assessment. A 3-gem match gives about 13 mana per match at ~300 Mastery. So If I have 4 red spells slotted and I match 3 red gems, each spell would have gotten 39 mana “before”. Under the 0.38 mana changes, the 3 gem match will now be allocated from left to right, so spells 1 through 3 will each get 1 gem and spell 4 will get nothing. Now how much is that gem worth? Well, at 100% Mastery increase you probably net +2 mana per gem, so now you are getting 15 mana per gem match. So spell 1 will end up getting 47 mana (+225% of 15 mana); spell 2 will end up getting 41 mana (+175% of 15 mana); spell 3 will get 34 mana (+125% of 15 mana).

This is where it gets a bit more difficult for mid-game players though. Most of these players are going to have their best mastery somewhere ~400. If they don’t favor a mono color build, then they are essentially in the same boat as “before” (no benefit from the spell changes in 0.38). If they go with a mono-color build then they are likely still looking at turn 2 or 3 before they can cast that first spell and by then their other spells are lagging as they try to get additional mana provided by the board. As @Avenger points out, it puts most players in the same boat of needing mana generators to really be able to progress the match, otherwise your spells end up lacking sufficient mana even with these changes.

At the end of the day, the changes to the spell mechanics don’t really make things easier or harder for the average player in terms of mana generation. But the enemies don’t care. They hit even harder while laughing at those players trying to get the mana they need to actually cast spells.

Another :rofl: moment!

So after a long hiatus… why is it still so hard to find information to how things work in this game? :sob:

It seems the values posted above have changed.
4 Spells of the same Mastery Color, now…
Mastery: +70%
Spell 1: +180% Mana; +240% Mana Damage
Spell 2: +140% Mana; +120% Mana Damage
Spell 3: +100% Mana; +60% Mana Damage
Spell 4: +60% Mana; +0% Mana Damage

I still have no idea how Mastery woks or how it effects spell damage or mana gain.

I have…
Level: 50 (Necro)
Power: 337
Dark 3: +70% Dark Mastery
Dark Mastery: 733 (+302)

On a 4 (dark) gem match…
Spell 1: +39 Mana
Spell 2: +34 Mana
Spell 3: +28 Mana
Spell 4: +22 Mana

If only matching 3 gems, I notice the first 3 spells get a “1” and the 4th doesn’t… But, why?

Is each gem only “10%” so for the 4th spell it works out to (40% + 60% = 100% = “1”)?
And even then, why does “1” = +22 for that spell?

Or with Spell 3, if 100% = +28… why?

How does my Dark Mastery at 733 translate to +28 mana?
Are 3 gems not supposed to be “3 mana”? Where is the other 25 coming from?
I can’t fathom what formula is at play here and can’t find anything in these forums that explains it (and, of course, nothing in the actual game that even hints at it).

This should be pretty straight forward (and I think when I originally first played this game it used to be?)

Naturally, even trying to understand how Mana Damage works is a forgone conclusion…

It seems like some people on here seem to understand how it works (someone even has a Google Sheets calculator).

Someone care to… spell this out for me. Anyone? :sweat:

Ill start here. When you match gems of a particular color, the total gems matched is distributed left to right one at a time. So lets say you have a 3-match of red gems, and you have 4 red spells equipped, spells #1, #2, and #3 are distributed one gem each from that match. Spell #4 would get no gems distributed. If you only had 2 red spells equipped, spells #1 and #2 each get one, and then the allocation starts again assigning the last matched gem to spell #1.

In terms of the question, “how much mana do i get per gem”, that is a function if your current mastery and then any applicable spell set bonuses. The base mana per gem at 0 mastery is 10. It increases as your mastery goes up but we do not have a known formula as it is one of dimimishing returns. However through observation we know that it is around 13 mana per gem at ~500 mastery and about 17 mana per gem around ~2,500 mastery. Then, whatever mana per gem is calculated, it is then subject to the spell set bonuses for having multiple spells of the same color equipped, based on spell position.

Mana damage is a function of mastery and power, similar to spell damage, but then subject to the spell set bonuses previously mentioned. I do not have a current formula for the mastery/power damage generated unfortunately as that has changed a couple of times and ive not tried to reobserve it

2 Likes

Thank you.

So my mastery at 700 must be giving me 14 mana, and so the +100% makes that 28 for Spell 3, right?

That sounds correct, when having four of the same color spells equipped.

1 Like

I just did some experiments and calculations, and this is what I found for Mastery to Mana conversion:

• 500 Mastery gives 13 mana per gem
  • 700 Mastery gives 14 mana per gem
  • 900 Mastery gives 15 mana per gem
  • 2100 Mastery gives 17 mana per gem

NOTE: For these calculations, I’m using the mastery noted during battle so it includes any mastery bonuses