[NOT A BUG] Enemy Spells Dealing Abnormally High Damage

Platform, device and operation system
Google Pixel 3A

What were you expecting to happen, and what actually happened
When I’m fighting enemies, I’m expecting the damage they deal with their spells to be the amount listed when inspecting the spell text. (For example, the Giant Rat in Chapter 12 Battle 2 lists Rat Swarm dealing 639 damage when I hold my finger on it to view the tooltip in battle). However, the damage they actually deal is much higher (it deals 1,028 damage). This is a major diffrence, since the former is not enough to one shot me and the latter is.

Since I am an Assassin, the elemental damage multiplier should not apply. If there is some other multiplier that increases enemy damage, it should be included in the value in the spell text, or better communicated to the player that it exists.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This happens every time.

Steps to make it happen again

1. Enter a battle (here I use battle Chapter 12 Quest 2 Battle 2).
  2. View the amount of damage the enemy’s spell should deal (here it’s 639)
  3. Allow the enemy to fill its spell and cast.
  4. Observe that the damage number is higher than expected. (Here it’s 1028).

I don’t think it’s a bug.
When you are going to enter the battle, there should be a score comparison between your gear score and the enemy score. You can press the question mark beside the enemy score and see whether they will do extra damage due to their superior score or not.
On my case on skirmish Chapter 12 normal diff, with gear score of 529, the enemy will hit 57.7% extra damage.
On your case, they hit around 60.8% or so, so maybe you can check whether the data at the beginning of the battle is correct or not.

This is intended.

Whatever damage is shown doesn’t take the gear score difference into account, so something like a 700 damage number from the enemy is actually 1,400 if their percent damage increase from gear score difference is 100%.

There are multiple instances where the damage has to be manually calculated by the player such as any ability that boosts based on number of gems on the board, Assassin/Paladin special gem, gear score percent in either direction, and a few others.

1 Like

Thank you, I was not aware that gear score had a literal impact on gameplay. I only thought that gear affected survivability by way of affecting player armor/resistance.

1 Like

Thanks for answering everyone! Marking this as resolved.