There is currently a really large issue with the speed stat in PQ3 that makes it detrimental to the player to have it higher.
In PQ1/2 it was useful due to it determining who moved on the board first; however, in PQ3 it just hinders the player.
As it currently works, every 10 speed results in 0.1 more seconds to take the player’s turn once the timer starts. This is somewhat useful up to about 2.5-3 seconds, but starts to have an extremely time consuming detrimental effect once that timer starts to get to around 4-10 seconds extra per turn, making a player have to wait needlessly for minutes over the course of a dungeon.
The main issue with speed currently is:
- There is nothing a higher speed does that a lower speed can’t already do, already making it do nothing for players that take their moves very quickly.
- There is no way for a player to force end their turn, so long timer will always play out wasting minutes over the course of dungeons.
- It stacks infinitely, so high level equipment can get to around 10-30 second wait times PER TURN.
- No spells nor equipment have a boost ratio off of speed, making nothing actually stronger from this higher speed stat.
While there are many ways to fix this by doing one or multiple of them, some potential ideas to make speed not hurt the player while not touching the higher timer mechanic include:
- Have a way to force end turn, even before the timer starts.
- Make every spell that currently increases speed have a boost ratio to their secondary effect based on current speed, or even a 3rd effect that only checks speed and not power.
- Add spells that utilize the speed stat for part of their effect.
- Have at least one weapon, one boots, and one non-boots utilize speed for some kind of additional boost ratio effect.