2.3 PvP Details

There is a fundamental disadvantage in the scoring system that punishes those seeded (by +pts) in the top 10.

Here is a simplified breakdown. Imagine a tournament with 25 players, the top seeded player will give 4550 (3500x1.3) to all other players who achieve a perfect victory. The problem is that seeded player 1 cannot fight themself, so they are limited to the +pts from players 2-11. Seeded player 2, same situation, but gets scores from 1 and 3-11. All the way down through the top 10 the maximum score available is less than that for all players seeded 11 and below.

This chart assumes perfect victory for all fights to help illustrate the flaw in the scoring system:

Seeded Rank Bonus Avail Perfect Victory Total Possible Rank Possible
1 3500 4550 38350 11
2 3400 4420 38480 10
3 3300 4290 38610 9
4 3200 4160 38740 8
5 3100 4030 38870 7
6 3000 3900 39000 6
7 2900 3770 39130 5
8 2800 3640 39260 4
9 2700 3510 39390 3
10 2600 3380 39520 2
11 2500 3250 39650 1
12 2400 3120 39650 1
13 2300 2990 39650 1
14 2200 2860 39650 1
15 2100 2730 39650 1
16 2000 2600 39650 1
17 1900 2470 39650 1
18 1800 2340 39650 1
19 1700 2210 39650 1
20 1600 2080 39650 1
21 1500 1950 39650 1
22 1400 1820 39650 1
23 1300 1690 39650 1
24 1200 1560 39650 1
25 1100 1430 39650 1
3 Likes

Sorry for the long post.
TL;DR: I don’t know if the pairing is by ranking place or GS, there is no clear answer, the pairing seems controversial either way.

I was in the belief, that it means the 1st to 10th players on the board. It is not!
It is rather by gear score (I don’t know, if the current equipped one, ore the best possible from owned gear).

Yesterday I was in a position in Yellow Restricted where my current “highest strength player” opponent was Ailile. I tried 5 times against her, used up all my sigils.
Today she is nowhere in sight.

Some interesting details:

Her gear score is 3065.

Her place in the league is currently 74th.

The top ten is as follows (I am 38th at the moment):

My top ten points:

I have defeated mutizm (who is currently first) once, but the result was mediocre. I haven’t met him since. Lion Knight’s and Rogozhin’s score also not in my top ten, but I did a win against them. If it wasn’t a perfect win, I should encounter them again, but I didn’t.
I haven’t even met a 7th guy with the asian character name.

So the pairing is not by place in the league. Is it by Gear Score? No!
Because my last 4-5 choice is like this:

If it is by current ranking position, I should get Mutizm, whom I defeated, but not with perfect score (he is not on my top ten list). If it is by Gear Score, Ailie is higher than Lion Knight, so I should get her instead.

EDIT: sorry, I must take back this last sentence, Ailie is weaker than Lion Knight. BUT is Lion Knight the highest GS player?
Also I won against Pyrdacor, got 4873 points. His current GS (see in details) 2621, so it seems possible to change into naked gear to prevent others getting good points against you…

The pairing is better than was before (if I cannot defeat the highiest option, it is still a problem for advancement), but the pairing algorithm is still a mystery for me.
@jeto So many questions. Can you enlighten us?

That’s because neither is being used as matching criteria. As Jeto said, the matching criteria is based on “perceived strength”, which has been a closely held trade secret by the devs to date.

Perceived strength is more than just one’s gear score. The calculation is at a minimum factoring in citadel perks and is also likely factoring gear attributes among other unknown factors. These additional factors, IMO, have more value in the perceived strength calculation than gear score alone.

The current matchmaking system will sometimes make a player ineligible to appear if you have fought them too many times in a given amount of time. They’ll reappear in a day or two, most likely.

So… in a weird coincidence for this thread, Ailile being cited here raises some eyebrows. Not that there’s anything wrong with citing her at all, but rather that she’s my better half and as such I’m very qualified to talk about her paladin (with her permission of course, which I do have).

What you are seeing here is the perceived strength calculation. Ailile wears M45 gear, excepting M50 weapon and shield. She could be stronger if she wanted to be, but she is actively choosing to not improve her gear any further in the current state of the game. However, she has ~200 citadel levels under belt, which is overcoming the gear score discrepancy and resulting in the game reporting her as the stronger character from various citadel perks.

Also, it sounds like you lost against her five times? If so, then that is probably the result of the Fallen Shoulders. It may have been on the receiving end of the nerf bat this week, but it is still easily powerful enough to create invulnerability situations in PvP especially as the shoulders can activate as many as five times in a single combat round. It’s a very frustrating situation, especially if playing with a character that’s not their main character in PvP.

This was a loophole that was closed off awhile back. The game only remembers the higher perceived strength loadout that was used in a PvP battle to block players from switching loadouts or stripping naked to tank their PvP matchmaking scores.

That’s because the current system only allows for a single score against your top 10 opponents. Once you register a score that qualifies as one of your top 10 scores, they are disqualified from appearing again as an opponent for the rest of the week. So, for ranking purposes, only the first wins against those 10 battles make a difference all week and once those are played, that’s it. AS OuttaTime, in the post above clearly points out, it’s a flawed matchmaking system.

This sounds like the scoring formula is going to change again in 2.4, but if the matchmaking system issues aren’t corrected by them, those changes aren’t going to mean much at all.

Thank you, your reply is very enlightening.

In another thread I have asked about citadel strenght. It would be very useful if displayed on the PVP matching screen.
Please give my regards to Ailile. :smiley: I have only lvl 142, so that explains that beatings. If there is a pause after too much encounter with the same person, perhaps we well meet again. (I have ‘almost’ won a few times, so I don’t give up hope.)

There are opponents, who were in my best 10 early this week, but then lost that position. They came back, but the current ones cannot… So a perfectionist must abort a weak win in hope of a better one. I believed the original post meant ‘top score’ as in perfect win. :rage:

One good thing about this, it works for everyone this way. As I have no ambition or means to became top 10, I am content that it is as hard to beat me from my current position as for me to advance further.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Im frustrated that i keep getting the same people in my pool of opponents. Ive beaten “Its Shaun” 8 times and they still appear in my pool EVERY time

Is he in the highest spot? My current highest is too low to give points, but I have points from the perceived top ten, so I am in the position where I cannot advance any more…

I WAS #3, but now I’m #4 and “Its Shaun” is #3. They have 31 more points than me, LOL. But its impossible for me to get anymore points because “Its Shaun” is always the highest opponent in my pool. What sucks is that this was the case even before “Its Shaun” pulled ahead of me.

Actually, now it looks like im getting different opponents now that Its Shawn pulled ahead

Hi, It’s me (Shaun). I was also getting a very similar pool of opponents for the last 2 days none of which could help me improve my score (N.B. I wasn’t always paying 100% attention so I could be wrong) I was choosing easier opponents to make the battle faster to collect my honor, but 2/3 of the way through today’s PVP I suddenly got 3 opponents in a row that gave me a chance to improve my score. Surprise!

Due to reflected damage or reflect or something else I only had one that actually improved my score and went in to #8 of my top 10. The 3rd one killed me with reflect that I didn’t notice them having.

The above is an FYI for my last 2 days in the open challenger league.

1 Like

The more I think about this, the only way this situation can be band-aided until the 2.4 scoring changes arrive is for players to be allowed to fight a mirror match against themselves.

How hard would this be to implement, to allow the player to be in the pool of valid of PvP targets for themselves?

Also, this would be a great thing to implement as a future QoL for testing PvP defense builds.

2 Likes

I also noticed this too. The only time id start to getnopponents that could improve my score would be when @shmaunpq pulled ahead of me a little bit, haha. However, what sucked is that the new opponents (who could increase my score) often had reflect, so it was impossible to get an actual good score. Also, these players almost exclusively were the ones that could stun me.

Reflect is getting annoying, most people seem to be running it. Not uncommon to have all 3 of your opponent in a round pick have it equipped. I think the easiest way to fix Reflect for tournies is to have it not trigger on the dying blow. Just kind of silly to have a mechanic that there is no actual counter for, so not having it trigger on the dying blow would allow you to at least strategize and work around it.

1 Like

I agree! This is probably the best way. The funniest thing is that no matter whether (1) reflect kills you when you kill the opponent OR (2) reflect kills the opponent when they kill you, YOU end up losing either way, LOL.

Does reflect reflect both skull and mana damage? Or only skull?

I normally lean towards the player argument on things, but in this case I think reflect, while annoying, is working properly.

In case 1: You do enough damage to kill the opponent, but also enough to kill you.
You are dead at the end of the fight, so you should get a defeat.

In case 2: Your enemy does enough damage to kill you, but your reflect also kills them.
Again, you are dead at the end of the fight, so you should get a defeat.

Reflect, the status effect, reflects any type of damage once, and then goes away.
Reflect from Warlord shoulders only reflects melee, so spell and ranged damage should not be reflected.

1 Like

What usually happens for me is case 3 - I kill the opponent and I take a tiny bit of damage. I still win the match, but losing health hurts my score. Is there even really a way to circumvent this? That’s my biggest issue with it, and its like every match now practically.

1 Like

You need to kill with spell damage or ranged damage, assuming you are encountering Warlord Shoulder reflect.

1 Like

One strange situation…
I have an opponent twice in my top ten list.
Is it normal? I believed earlier that it is not possible. Maybe it is, because the lost battle was the earlier one. But once I defeated him, he will not turn up again.

Another (Playstation) user here frustrated by the PVP system. I can flawlessly beat every opponent yet I am unable to climb any higher than 3rd place due to being repeatedly and consecutively matched against the same opponents that do nothing to increase my score.

Unless there’s something I’m missing?

2 Likes

Scoring system is currently broken. See 00h00m 's post above showing the math of the issue.

1 Like

PvP highlights another broken combination of broken game mechanics.

A match 4 of skulls should not be generating 125k damage (on a successful 80% block) on Turn 1.

Crit mechanics need a very serious overhaul.