I’ve been playing for months (.34), and I keep persevering. I even spent money at the start as I always like to support the developers to some degree. Then .35 happened, and .36, and .37! Each update making some things better, but most things worse! It’s so damn frustrating. Like you’re being punished for being enthusiastic about the games potential. And the game does have a lot of potential, provided the developers stop focusing on monetising and focus on the gameplay! It doesn’t matter how many purchase options they add to the game if no one is playing it!
A few things that are really frustrating at the moment:
- Inventory. Spending 25% of the game time sorting your inventory is not fun! There is no logic to restricting peoples inventory slots. It doesn’t encourage people to spend. If anything it restricts spend because we focus on a couple of characters instead of all of them. Also having more equipment would encourage players to buy more upgrade material.
- Connectivity. This is a big one. It’s been happening for a long while now. In normal fights it really doesn’t matter. Frustrating but not detrimental other than a little lost time. But in PvP or leaderboard challenges it’s really annoying. One disconnect can be the difference between 1000 gems and 100 gems. And these disconnects happen multiple times a day. I’m surprised I haven’t broken my phone with how angry it makes me feel at times. Is that how you want your players to feel when playing your game?
- Animations. I love the graphics in this game. Some very talented designers have been involved and it was a real selling point when I first started playing. However, I don’t want to see them every time I play. The delay they cause is really frustrating. Allow us to switch them off, please! I understand that you need them for marketing purposes, but once the players are invested, fancy graphics that slow gameplay as excessively, as these do, will only cause frustration. That’s not the way to keep people playing!
- Resources. Rebalance them please. Too much food and not enough ore is frustrating. Too easy to get superior shards and impossible to get mid-range ones. OK, maybe there are a few salvage tricks players can use, but did you really design things for this to be a viable option? Just balance the shards based on the type of chest. Allow us to upgrade shards similar to the marks formula, but also allow us to downgrade them! Relics should be farmable. Not easy but better than the current levels. I open dozens of chests every day, and salvage 95% of gear received, but it’s been weeks since I found a relic anywhere other than the stores or the daily challenges. Glyphs should be rare and I don’t have an issue with the current format. Then again, I have plenty of gems so buying them isn’t currently an issue.
- PvP and leaderboards. OK, I’m used to leaderboards being controlled by the Whales, but that doesn’t stop it being annoying. Surely you can come up with something a little better balanced than the current format. Spending a week to earn 50 gems isn’t appealing, especially when you can frequently get more from a single daily challenge.
- Citadels. This has been mentioned a few times but as it’s supposed to be a major achievement to get one, make them configurable please. We need the ability to redistribute our points. Play modes change, and where I originally believed I’d focus only on Paladin/Yellow I now find I want to focus more on Shaman/Green. So my bonuses are wrong. Where I originally believed defense was critical, I now find I prefer attack. When I first started with the citadel I didn’t realise how important starting mana was. You can charge us to change things. Or limit us to once a month or something. Just allow it!
- Timeouts. I’m not referring to the disconnects here, but the way the game claims you’ve been inactive for too long. I play on my phone, as I’m sure the majority of other players do. Sometimes I have to answer the phone and do some work. Frustrating for me I know, but it happens. If I’m on the phone for 30 mins, or working, the game does a timeout. This is so bloody annoying, especially when you’re doing leaderboard or pvp challenges. Why? It shouldn’t matter if I’ve left the game for a short while. It’s not affecting anyone else. There aren’t any realtime challenges. I should be able to leave it for hours if I want. In theory I should be able to close my game and come back to the same spot when I’m ready, but that’s probably asking too much.
- No more moves. The game has been ending your turn since at least .36, but .37 added that lovely little (no so!) message that tells you it’s finishing because you don’t have any more turns. What’s really annoying is this happens even when you have spells left. I don’t like the idea of more buttons to press, but if the logic can’t figure out you have spells left, we should get a ‘do you want to end’ button pop up. Better still there could be an end turn button somewhere that you can press whenever you’re ready.
I’m sure there are more areas I could ‘moan’ about, but I’m as bored of writing as you are of reading! I know this is an Early Access game, and I expect bugs and changes, but I don’t expect silence from the developers. I’ve played EA games many times, and usually the developers want the game to be a success. They don’t just use the release to get some free beta-testing, but they communicate with the player base to make the game better. Afterall, as I’ve said before, we are your potential evangalists! We will talk about it and can either make or break it’s success.
Rant over…for now!