Let's discuss the current state of chests and drop rates

Except of course that we don’t know any of the numbers and apparently you don’t either so the only part that I agree with is that the numbers are made up. I understand the concept of one number being larger than another and again, rather than dealing with my actual comments you chose instead to obfuscate the issue (injecting a second gear rate increase magically post 0.38 I might add). The part that is missing from your simple math example is that each chest clearly has slots in which certain items can be rolled. We know based on past evidence that Slot 1 is Gold, Slot 2 is generally Food/Ore, and then it gets more varied. So when you describe one drop rate of gear from Chests, its not that simple. But instead of your fake math, I and many others have been providing real examples of Chest behavior that is clearly different and less advantageous than before.

At this point there is little reason to continue this back and forth. Perhaps you will actually deal with the issues mentioned:

• Persistent insistence that Relics rate in chests have increased with no evidence that is so
  • Clearly different behavior in Seasons Chests compared to regular chests of the same type
  • Clear lack of any improvement in the quality of items from Diamond chests despite repeated mentions that this would occur
  • Inability to convert shards, runes/scrolls, gear masteries, etc, therefore at the mercy of random drop rates that seem highly erratic relative to chest level

While we wait to not hear anything useful back from the Sirrian or the developers I will continue to enjoy piling up the mountain of Shards courtesy of my purchased Platinum Pass and contemplate how this entire experience can truly be described as Kafka-esque.

2 Likes

So, to be clear about most players shard feedback - we aren’t asking for more shards, we are asking for a better distribution of the shards we receive (i.e. a way to target certain types of shards, allowing conversion, etc.).

Similar problems exist with runes. Nearly no player asks for more runes, rather for improving the way they are distributed (targeting/conversion/etc.).

And if I am understanding correctly that this change was done based on player feedback, why is the consistent player feedback that we are drowning in food constantly overlooked? It is very frustrating to get three stacks of food (which is already at cap) in a level 100 diamond chest.

4 Likes

“The party developers told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears chest contents. It was their final, most essential command PQ3 gameplay advice.”

This actually got me thinking. I would guess this is an example of the difficult balance that the devs are trying to achieve.

People who post here are experienced and/or understand the mechanics of a F2P game. If you are patient, play the odds, understand the F2P mechanic, have joined a kingdom, etc shards are not a problem (and nor are food and ore which are increased in dungeon chests too). We are much happier the way things were. Especially when we are getting junk from the season chests.

People who are impatient, don’t fully understand the F2P mechanic, haven’t discovered they can exchange marks for shards, are always upgrading gear etc can be permanently needing 100’s of shards and feeling their progress is stifled by this. I guess these are the people that are complaining about the lack of shards. Maybe also they have been doing dungeons unaware that skirmishes give shards?

I’m not sure why the people who are active here and on discord are being punished because of the people that can’t manage their resources or aren’t doing skirmishes.

^ This!

Lyranica and I are the same way on this. I seriously don’t know what the “secret sauce” is with Dungeons that get us to play them for 60-90 minutes every night multiplayer, but we can’t stand even 10 minutes of running Skirmishes. (Ironically, we also both hate farming Explores in GoW for medals.)

Dungeons are the same as Skirmishes, only adding altars and the two boss mobs. It’s definitely not the altars. The bosses, then? That doesn’t feel right either.

So, what is the “secret sauce” that makes Dungeons enjoyable? It is the sense of purpose that high-value loot or big named-opponent encounters is supposed to appear in Dungeons, while Skirmishes are supposed to be generic random encounters? I’m not sure. I feel like there’s some intangible quality at play here that I can’t quite place my finger upon to explain this.

What do you think?

There’s a an additional motivation for players behind these requests.

Gear is rolling Attributes that make absolutely zero sense for them to have. For example, I ascended this weapon this week,

There’s no reason for a Fire-elemental wepaon to roll a Dark-elemental boost. That should be a Fire-element boost. Random Attributes are understandable, but illogical Attributes on Gear shouldn’t be even be a thing.

That said, in reality there’s going to need a lot of consideration needed around Attribute re-rolling. Elemental color shifting shouldn’t be too much of a gameplay issue, but I could see a lot of balancing problems arising out Attribute rerolling depending on how much flexibility the player gets on hand-picking the re-roll.

I’ve thought about something similar to a transmuting service would be cool, where a player might be able to sacrifice a Epic or higher piece of gear to transfer an Attribute on the sacrificed piece over to another piece of gear. Maybe possible as a type of premium currency follower service?

1 Like

At the end of the day, I’d be happy with the loss of stratification of chest contents from modes if we also had:

• some reasonable use of Gold
  • some reasonable use of Food
  • some reasonable expectation of getting occasionally good drops from chests like a Glyph or Higher Tier Relic
  • alignment of -Pact and -Strike Attributes to Mastery
  • the ability to at least reroll mastery if nothing else
  • some exchange or downgrade ability to use higher tier shards/runes/scrolls for lower tier needs

Surely these things, which are all chest contents issues are just as requested as “more shards”.

This feels less meaningful now:

Apparently no one reads this anyway though. And of course we know that many things that you read in the game are not true anyways.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from, but I frame it differently–gear is not gear until it is the desired color. Until then it is just RNG/salvage fodder. (This includes epic gear that is off color due to inventory restrictions.)

I have run dungeons almost exclusively and I hadn’t had a shortage of shards until recently. I attribute this to two things: the RNG hates me ㅋㅋ (I am up to about ten failed upgrades); and I have far less fodder to salvage.

1 Like

After having run quite a few more dungeons, I do not see any value in using resources (keys) to open dungeon chests of any rarity. I plan to fill my chest slots with ruby or diamond and junk the rest. I hesitate to say “salvage” because I don’t actually get anything for salvaging chests due to the cap on and zero plan for gold in the current game.

Ive been chronicling this in another thread but posting this here due to the blatant differences in results that have yet to be explained. This is a Seasonal Level 80 Ruby Chest opened today:

A typical Ruby Chest has 6 slots, the first of which is always Gold, and the 2nd of which is usually Food or Ore, but not always. The last couple of slots are typically items although recently that has also not been the case. In this example, 4 of the 5 eligible slots have rolled as Ore (the first slot is ignored as it is always Gold). I have contended repeatedly that there has been a change in the behavior of Seasonal chests in that more Ore and Food are showing up regularly than before. Is this a good result for a Ruby Chest? Ore is at least usable but it could have just as easily been 4x Food which for many players amounts to nothing.

How come things keep changing often to the disadvantage of the player and these changes are never mentioned? Also, these are chests which many players are paying a premium to access via the Gold or Platinum Pass, yet their contents are underwhelming relative to similar chests to which players have access with no restrictions (other than keys). Please offer some explanation.

Yet another Ruby Chest, same day:

4 of the 6 slots are Ore and Food. This is functionally the same as the other chest. No items, no Shards (supposedly more of these), etc.

1 Like

So it’s been two weeks and I was really hoping there would be some followup on this. There are a lot of open questions right now well beyond just the change to shards such as:

• Apparent increase in food/ore in Dungeon chests, particularly Seasons Chests, which seems from my perspective to be a result of an apparent change to which items are eligible to rolled in which slot in Dungeon chests
  • No apparent increase in Relics seen despite yet another “increase”
  • Continued lack of visibility to rates on eligible items that can drop from what level chests and at what rarities (clearly this can be done as we can see an example of it in the Seasonal Caches)
  • The often times occurrence where a Diamond Chest has 7 loot rolls resulting in the equivalent of 2 Iron Chests, which is not a fair value given the time and rarity (going to the previous point, if we knew the chance to get certain things like epic or legendary items it could make the less quality contents more palatable?)
  • The often requested ability to upgrade/downgrade shards (if the feedback is that you need more shards, why was this not an option instead of just bloating up chests with more shards)

Anyways there have been lots of things brought up and supposedly some of these things would have been discussed (or not!), but instead all we got after two work weeks of wait is some price changes on Daily Deals.

Here’s hoping we are not back to the communication black hole yet again.

4 Likes

I agree entirely. The actual progression and chest drop issues are continually ignored. Many new players never get the opportunity to really get into the game because they feel a “paywall”, and are unable to see a mechanic to get around it.

And what odd changes those were to the daily deals. While helpful, why were they in particular addressed?

Why wasnt the fact that mythic scrolls cost the same as a glyph addressed? One is readily availabile while the other is a mythical creature.

3 Likes

Yet another example of this ongoing, and as yet unaddressed issue by @Kafka and the developers:

This is the contents of a Level 80 Seasonal Diamond Dungeon Chest. In this case I actually had capacity to receive food as this was one of the first chests I had opened after spending some Food on the Food Deal. Of the six eligible slots, 3 of the 6 are Food, x2 in this case (which I will quickly be back to receiving 0!) or Ore. Additionally I have 3 evolve materials and absolutely zero items. For this I burned a Diamond Key which supposedly has significant potential value; however I essentially received the contents of 2 Iron Chests (albeit with increased food and ore).

EDIT: Adding this from yet another Seasonal Level 80 Diamond Dungeon Chest received in the same batch of 9 Battles:

3x Ore (received 300+ Ore), 1x Food, so 4 of the 7 slots are food or ore.

This is a clear change in behavior of Dungeon Chests previously (the regular absence of any items at all is now the very common) and is a worse outcome as a result.

I have now done 5 weeks of Seasons via a Platinum Pass Purchase. I have completed nearly 300 Battles of Level 80-100, almost exclusively Dungeon Chests. To date I have received from these chests:

• 0 Epic items
  • 0 Legendary items
  • 0 Relics
  • 0 Glyphs

I have however received:

• A metric ton of Food which essentially amounted to 0
  • A metric ton of Gold which essentially amounted to 0
  • Ore - which I could actually put to some use (followers are pretty much the only regular source of epic items at this point)
  • 100+ of Legendary/Mythic Runes/Scrolls which I cannot use (I have so many I will never use them, so essentially a dead currency)
  • 1000+ Shards, many of them Superior quality, thanks to the quality of Life change which I may one day be able to use (but unlikely if they don’t allow downgrading of Shards) but had 0 marginal benefit as I had plenty of these shards to begin with
  • dozens of common/uncommon seasonal minions, items, and a few spells that I cannot evolve to determine potential mastery value due to the lack of seasonal evolve materials and got broken down into even more shards that I cannot currently use
  • ~2,000 Anthrite (not from the chests but as a result of doing these additional paid-for battles) which I have spent on at least 10 Ultimate Caches which have given me Shards or Rare Seasonal items more than half the time, which again I can’t evolve due to the lack of sufficient seasonal evolve materials

Feel free to review the contents of these chests that I tracked for a while but ultimately stopped doing due to the repetitiveness of the results:

There are 3 weeks remaining in the Season Pass and I cannot for the life of me understand how this is something that the developers think will be found to be worthwhile as continuous premium content. At least with Events, as tedious as they are, you actually can end up with resources to acquire glyphs which are sufficient to evolve likely just a few of these seasonal items (which by the way are necessary to complete seasonal goals that are absolutely incapable of being completed even by the biggest of spenders).

Is this good feedback? Should I post it on reddit? Youtube perhaps?

EDIT (6/5/22): Someone brought up a great point: Currently @Sirrian wants to charge you 325 Crowns in the Shop to purchase 2x Diamond Key or 2x Ruby Key for 235 Crowns. Currently Crowns are being sold for various prices but using the prices of the mid-range packages, the 2 Diamond Keys costs you the equivalent of ~$5USD. So for 5 US dollars you can get Gold, Food, Ore, Runes/Scrolls, Shards, etc (all the stuff you can for free from Iron Chests with easily acquired keys) and the tiny tiny tiny tiny chance of maybe a decent item.

What are the actual chances? We don’t know. And they can clearly by changed by @Sirrian and the developers at any time without any apparent announcement because the chests can be earned through gameplay and they can hide the numbers so you can’t see anything. They can tell you 4 or 5 times in a row that something has happened (“rates of relics have increased, especially higher tier relics!”) but you can never validate it because everything is hidden.

3 Likes

tumbleweed-crickets-chirping

Never gets old

2 Likes

@Sibelios Spot on!

I also purchased the premium seasonal pass. I just did 6 loot tickets for Difficulty 5 season dungeon. 1 Diamond, 1 Ruby, 2 Gold, 2 Iron… Not a single piece of equipment! Some of the contents were as bad as a skirmish wood chest.

This thread was specifically requested by @Kafka over a month ago. No engagement has happened here whatsoever. I was point blank told this:

Nothing has happened.

It’s put up or shut up time quite frankly. Maybe it’s not @Kafka’s fault. Maybe there is so much the CX team wants to share but are hamstrung by the producer or the developer or @Sirrian specifically. Whatever the reason, this has been the way things have been since the beginning of Early Access. Promise better interaction, fail to follow through.

We have repeatedly asked questions about changes that appear to not actually have occurred (“increase in relics!”), about changes that have not been communicated (Don’t remember seeing the 200% increase in food and ore from dungeon chests anywhere), and about the general lack of value in Seasons. These are legitimate questions backed up by numerous player observations and reports. Nothing has been offered in response. Nothing. Nothing.

I’ve been a passionate advocate for this game since early on. I’ve done my best to engage players in the game and here to provide feedback and information to help cultivate a community to grow this game. But at some point you have to ask yourself, what is the point of the effort if no effort is returned. I don’t expect anything here anymore. Just absolutely minimal effort here by the developer to create a community of engagement and feedback.

Onto Update 1.2. Better make it count.

EDIT: P.S. No Dev-splanations needed. No explanation is sufficient. They have failed on several fronts (the number of times this has been documented is easily confirmed through this very forum) and at this point there are no more excuses. They are at risk of losing any hold they have remaining on players’ interests.

7 Likes

I just opened a lvl 100 Ruby chest from 1.1 hard mode dungeon. I received:

0 Gold (because it’s maxed), 561 Food (which wasn’t maxed because my Kingdom manages the food deal manually due to a lack of available controls), 1 Legendary Rune (close to 100 of these), and 8 Superior shards (which i have nearly 8k of).

The second best chest in the game. And this is normal.

2 Likes

Bouncing off your post, as this is supposed to be a “discussion” thread and you bring up some solid points,

Tues/Wed this week is 8 weeks since 1.1 launched. 1.2 could land as soon as this coming week.

But, more to your point,

I’d bet a whole lot of currently worthless gold pieces at this point that the CX team is being told not to discuss the recent chest changes or the pending changes that may be very close to production deployment.

Why? Because while there will definitely be positive changes in the update, there will be almost assuredly some changes that will be viewed quite negatively by a significant portion of the existing playerbase. Perhaps potential perceived negatives vastly outweigh any perceived positives.

IMO, Guilds are going to be pushed hard in 1.2. VERY HARD. I would be very surprised if the high-end economy was not converted to be guild-oriented and top-tier guild participation heavily encouraged, if not implicitly mandated, going forward.

The chest changes are likely the devs pre-balancing drop rates for resource drops in a 1.2 world. Expect massive guild-based resource sinks in a post-Bazaar world to be the new norm.

Season Passes don’t provide value, at least in the same way the buying Event tiers do. They unlock additional purchasing opportunities for players. Gold passes enable investments to obtain Legendary things, Platinum passes enable investments to obtain Mythic things (ever notice that the Gold and Platinum passes are the color of their respective max purchasable rarities?). Didn’t buy any pass? Epic is max, period. Trying to obtain gear rarity levels above and beyond the player’s purchased pass level is a futile endeavor that is all-but-guaranteed to fail by design.

I think that item drops were intentionally decreased with the chest adjustments because we are going to get the color-changing/attribute-changing transmuter follower, likely as the showcase feature of Season 1.2. That said… the idea of potentially time-limited/restricted followers is rather unsettling, but quite possible. Care to buy Platinum Passes for future Seasons to max out the potential of these restricted high-value followers?

1 Like

This is not a specific issue. It’s a perpetual issue. And what does it matter? It’s a constant choice that clearly is a failing one. We are not children. There are always changes that are both good and bad. But they continually fail to announce the negative ones even when updates materialize. That’s not standard practice. That’s lying through omission.

No one “expects” anything because of massive communication failures around potential changes. Plenty of games give insight to changes that are “upcoming”. If you are changing something now, particularly if it’s a “nerf” due to an upcoming change, then say what the balancing change is. Stop pretending this not disclosing changes is some sort of normal practice. What else are they changing in the background and not disclosing to players?

People who bought the Gold pass likely won’t complete even half of the Legendary item goals. People who bought the Platinum Pass won’t complete hardly any if even one of the Mythic item goals. Plenty of non-pass buyers completed at least one Legendary goal by getting lucky with an Anthrite Shield pull. Several platinum pass purchasers still don’t have an Anthrite Shield to show for it. This randomness is tiresome. So by your definition the design is a failure. Stop pretending as if this was well planned effort with specific incentives that match the value put in.

Prediction Predictions. Why not just inform players as to that as opposed to the constant silence. This was 5 days ago:

If this really is a component of Update 1.2, why not just simply state that something generally is coming. Again, failure. If it does actually materialize in 1.2, what did they accomplish by not confirming anything at this point? Nothing.

Once again, we don’t need Dev-splanations or Dev-predictions. We need clear communications from the developer via the CX team about all changes that occur so that players understand how it impacts their gaming experience. That’s being professional. Constantly failing this is being unprofessional and borderline deceitful.

2 Likes

That’s a fair statement to present. I’m now more or less finished with the Season, as there’s nothing left that is obtainable for me to realistically reach. Everything that’s left for me on the Goal board is either ascending things to Legendary or Mythic.

“Final” completion stats for me:

As I have said previously, I do believe that the Goal board is designed around some future state of the game where Glyphs/Relics are more obtainable than they are now (perhaps 1.2?). It is frustrating to some degree to leave tasks uncompleted simply because they are impossible to achieve.

In any lootbox/gacha system where there is no maximum pity mechanic, there is always the possibility that the player will walk away empty-handed. Gems of War does not have a pity mechanic on Mythic troop pulls and relies on the Soulforge as a backup pity-like system. I think that PQ3 will probably follow a similar mechanic with no direct pity system in place during the Season, with one of the roles of the Archive as a second chance and/or pity-like system for things that were unable to be obtained during the Season’s scheduled run.

I didn’t say that the system design was failure.

I am walking away from this Season with three Legendary minions. One of them (the Gravel Worm) was a very lucky cache drop, but I crafted and raised the other two from scratch using the resources made available to me with my Gold Pass and some minion Glyphs that were rotting in my inventory. I have only a passing interest in the belt and perhaps the crossbow, but not enough interest to warrant significantly investing in either of them at this time, keeping a copy of each in inventory for future possible consideration. I have an interest in Tangled Skulls, but it is simply too weak of a debuff after considerable testing in Elite Mode to warrant the investment to Legendary or Mythic.

As I did not buy the Platinum Pass, I have no expectations for any of these minions to reach Mythic ascensions during this Season. Ultimate Cache drop rates for Mythic relics also say that’s not going to happen as I do not have access to the weekly Mythic relic purchase in the Rewards shop.

That said, I will say that there are insufficient resources available with the Season Rewards system to achieve all of the ascension Goals currently, ignoring Glyphs entirely. Even with a Platinum Pass and somehow constantly clearing Difficulty X Season Dungeons and rolling favorable RNG within the Ultimate Cache, it is currently not realistically possible to obtain enough season currency to pull enough Legendary and Mythic relics to complete all of the ascension Goals before the Season expires.

The system needs some tweaking, and I’m sure the devs are collecting data to do just that. But it’s not a design failure, as you claim it is. While needing some fine tuning, the system is more or less performing the way the devs designed it to work. I strongly doubt the devs consider the Season system to be a failure as currently implemented. Granted, there are a lot of resource traps and pitfalls in the system to waste a player’s scarce season currency to hinder progress, but that’s likely by design as well to incentivize additional season currency purchases in the Season Rewards shop that refresh weekly.

Given the likely very significant impact of the upcoming Guild rework, possibly landing this coming week, it would be appreciated if the devs gave some sort of preview of the changes that will be coming so that guilds can prepare for these changes and not be completely blindsided by them.

I bought the Platinum Pass - I wish Platinum pass = Mythic anything - I have not had lucky drops
Have done all 9 Dungeon runs on most days and highest drop was Epic Waistguard (only Epic drop I have gotten so far)
So my take away is - extra daily dungeon battles (so extra content/work) for very little reward
Be better if it had an option for spending two tokens for x2 rewards or three tokens for x3 rewards
Overall value of the pass for me = 3/10 (because was easily able to get all skins, spells, minions) - would not purchase again
Most disappointing thing was the lack of inclusion of the shield - my suggestion is provide passes a significant boost IF you don’t have one in your inventory (So you could salvage it if you wanted to risk trying for a different color/attributes)
Or just provide a secondary loot table for Caches for passes (like for battle passes) so you get more/better stuff with passes
Getting a Rare items or Superior shards is pretty underwhelming if you have a season pass given the sheer number of dungeon chests you have opened with disappointingly low rarity items

1 Like